Verizon Student Discount

The Verizon student discount is not quite as generous or easy to find as the AT&T Student discount or Sprint Student discount, but the good news is that there is one!  I use Verizon Wireless as my cell phone service and was happy to find that I could get a 15% Verizon student discount applied to my account which saves me over $15 a month.

To find the Verizon academic discount you’ll need to go to the Verizon employee discount web page here.   Even though you may not be employed by your university, you can still try your school email address as a way to qualify for any discount that Verizon offers to your educational institution.  Alumni school email addresses also work so long as they’re the same domain as regular students.

Here are the steps you need to take to get the student discount from Verizon:

1. Go to the following web page on Verizon and type in your school email address to see if you qualify for a discount, if you do a screen will appear and Verizon will send you an email with information on the discount amount, below is a screenshot of the discount program page for this first step:Verizon student discount step 1
  2. After entering in your school email address information you’ll get a screen notifying you of either the success or failure of finding a discount for your institution.  I was lucky enough to get a discount and the screenshot for that is below:Verizon student discount success screen
  3. The email that step 2 triggered arrived to my inbox immediately and it provided a link to click that was valid for 72 hours.  By clicking this link you will be taken to a registration screen that just requires you to enter your name, phone number and last 4-digits of your Social Security #:Verizon register line for discount

After going through these 3 steps I was greeted with a screen indicating I had successfully registered for the employee/student discount needed to login to my Verizon account.  It said the discount would not show up in my bill for 1 to 2 billing cycles but I was happy to see it immediately took affect in my case.  Overall the entire process was simple and it took a total of five minutes for me to go through.  I’m sure that some may find it’s a little more tricky and I’m not sure how many academic institutions out there actually offer this, but in my case I’m at a large well-known public school that also gets a discount via the AT&T so students have the benefit of getting a discount on their wireless plan from just about any provider.  If you have questions or comments about getting the Verizon student discount please just post a comment!

Related Articles:

Filed Under: Feature Articles, Gadget Discounts, Student Discounts

About AJ

I'm a big believer in the importance of technology usage in education, but not just having blind faith in technology gadgets and using them in a school setting for the sake of it. I review and write about technology devices such as laptops and tablets that have a clear purpose and provide a learning advantage for students.

31 Responses to Verizon Student Discount

1. Michael September 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm #

Hi there,

Would I be required to extend my contract with Verizon if I were to accept the discount?

Thanks!
    Michael

2. AJ September 16, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

hi Michael, no you would not, it has no affect on the contract status. Just the price you pay per month for service!

3. Michael September 16, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

Thanks AJ! And thanks for the website – its freakin’ awesome!!!

4. Paul October 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

Thanks for the information, this was EXTREMELY helpful as I was not able to figure out the student discount by navigating Verizon’s page directly (go figure).

Cheers!

5. dan February 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

hey
    is it still working?
    I mean even though it says eligible but is that all you need?
    How do they know if we are student or employee?They may reqeust some kind of proof..

6. AJ February 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

The employee and student discount still works yes, once it’s activated for you they usually don’t check again or ask for any proof, having the email account for the employer/school is proof enough.

7. dan February 28, 2011 at 1:06 am #

So as long as we get the email saying the email is eligible, we can get the discount?? How much discount are we getting? If i want to get a iphone, should I go through this step before?

8. AJ February 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

If you get a confirmation email than you do qualify and you should go ahead and go through the process of signing up. The discount varies by school/employer, but in general it’s about 15% savings on the wireless plan.

9. amy March 7, 2011 at 11:42 am #

i failed to register my school email address. they could find the email address and wanted me to write employee information…
    is there other ways to get a student discount?

10. aria March 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm #

only UCLA acceptable for discount.

11. Ricky April 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

if my student email gets deleted, will they still give me the discount?

12. AJ April 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

@Ricky – You need to have access to the email account to activate the discount as they’ll send you an email to that address. However, once you’ve got the discount they won’t check after that.

13. Anneke May 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

THANKS! I just called them the other day to ask if they had student discounts and they said no! Just registered! Hope to see my discount soon!

14. Tiff May 17, 2011 at 12:30 am #

Hi, are you able to use a empolyee discount with student discount?

15. AJ May 17, 2011 at 9:48 am #

@Tiff – the discounts do not combine, you would have to use one or the other, in other words just use the best one!

16. Tiff May 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Okay thanks!!!

17. iza July 15, 2011 at 2:51 am #

Hi, you how it says the link will expire in 72 hours? Is that real?

18. Shannon July 27, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Will it work if I am on a family plan and not the account holder?

• Andrew July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

hey Shannon, my understanding is that you would have to be the primary account holder to get this discount — there’s no harm in trying though!

19. Chris August 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

Hi Andrew,
    I currently am a student at a community college. I have an email address that ends with an .edu. I tried this email address and it said I wasn’t qualified for a discount. Using this email address, I’m qualified for a discount from both AT&T and Sprint. Verizon is the only one that won’t accept this email address. The teachers at this community college are qualified because their email address are a little different than us students’ but theirs ends with a .edu too. I tried sending my pay stub and still not qualified because my employer is too small. Do you think there is any other way I can try? If not, looks like I’ll have move over to AT&T and get the 15% discount.
    Thanks!

20. Andrew August 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

hey Chris, basically the answer is no. It sounds like they use a different sub-domain email address for faculty versus students at your school so Verizon will only recognize the faculty email extension as qualifying for a discount. Outside of getting a job at a company that does have the Verizon discount or switching schools (neither worth the hassle!) it’s pretty much a no go for the Verizon discount in your case. If you’re really desperate you could get a job at McDonald’s where employees get a 19% discount, apply for the discount, then quit a few weeks later. They don’t take away a discount retroactively so it’s locked in for life once you qualify once.

21. Francis August 22, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Can you “stack” discounts? One of my parents receives a discount on our family plan, through their employer, and I am eligible for the student discount. Is it possible to apply both discounts to the same plan?

• Andrew August 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

That’d sure be nice but the answer is no, that’s not allowed. You just have to take whichever discount is higher.

22. jay August 31, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

So I have a military discount, does their discounts stack? Like if I got the student discount for verizon would I have to choose one or the other can can I get both lol.

• Andrew August 31, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

hi Jay, the standard line I’ve gotten from Verizon when I’ve asked in the past is that no employee / student / organization discount is stackable, basically take the best offer and apply it and that’s the best you can get as far as discount.

• jay September 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Aah thanks for getting back to me so soon lol and also repeating yourself, I should have looked at the last question before asking Haha since its pretty much the same Q. Thanks again 🙂

23. Carlie Walker September 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I would like to receive the student discount for verizon wireless.

24. ella September 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

My screen says (after I put in my email) “congratulations!” and that I should get an email. However, I’ve been trying this thing since yesterday, and I got NO email from verizon. What’s the problem? I don’t understand… can I just go to the store and ask them for the discount, or is that not ok since I’m not an employee?

• Andrew September 27, 2011 at 7:25 am #

Ella, you might want to check your email spam / junk mail folder. Instead of going to the store, it’s just as easy to call and ask about it. If they ask about your employment status, you could just say you’re on a student work program.

25. Will January 20, 2012 at 12:36 am #

if i join a family plan and use the student discount does that go for the whole plan?

• Andrew January 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

hi Will, sorry but it does not, it only works on the individual account associated to the student discount.