AT&T Student Discount

Everyone these days has a cell phone, in fact if you’re a student you’re much more likely to have a mobile phone than a landline.  So if you’ve been searching for ways to get student discounts on your phone bill and data plan, you’re in luck if you use AT&T and attend a university that offers a student discount through AT&T.

Here’s how you can find out whether or not your college offers a student discount for AT&T.  Visit the AT&T Premier Enterprise Portal and on the right hand side you will see a form textbox where you can enter your school email address to find out if AT&T offers a discount to your school, and if they do then receive an email with a link to your school’s discount portal.

AT&T student discount sign-up page

If you’re school does indeed have a relationship with AT&T then a page will be shown indicating the success and you will then receive the email from AT&T.  You can enjoy anywhere from a 3% – 20% savings on both AT&T products and plans.  For instance, if you attend University of Southern California the discount rate is 15%.  If you have an existing AT&T account you can simply associate this student discount to your existing plan and it will take effect with your next bill.  If you do not have an AT&T wireless plan you can of course open a new account and start a plan.

ATT Student Discount Success

ATT Student Discount Email

If you’re school is not part of the AT&T discount plan and you have a job then it is possible that AT&T offers a discount through your employer as well, so check with your work’s HR department or use the AT&T Premier Enterprise Portal to lookup whether there is a discount or not.

One question I’ve seen a lot is whether the iPhone has a student discount through AT&T.  The answer is that the old iPhone has no discount on the phone or rate plan, but with the new 3G iPhone you can get a discount on the rate plan, but not on the actual hardware.  Since the wireless rate and data plan on a 3G iPhone is so much a 15% discount will save you a lot of money in the course of a year!

Another piece of information worth mentioning is that this AT&T student discount / employee discount is often called a FAN discount by AT&T.  FAN stands for Foundation Account Number, which basically means that AT&T offers a discount to a foundation (company or school) and you can associate that “Foundation” account to your personal account and enjoy the discount.

Happy savings on your AT&T phone bills!

Filed Under: Feature Articles, Gadget Discounts, Student Discounts

About AJ

I'm a big believer in the importance of technology usage in education, but not just having blind faith in technology gadgets and using them in a school setting for the sake of it. I review and write about technology devices such as laptops and tablets that have a clear purpose and provide a learning advantage for students.

21 Responses to AT&T Student Discount

1. Selene August 8, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

You should mention that there is a membership fee first to be enrolled

2. AJ August 11, 2009 at 7:27 am #

I believe it varies from one institution to another on what the fee is, it can be up to $36 though you are right.

3. barbara August 14, 2009 at 3:52 am #

does anyone know whether the membership fee is charged for USC (University of Southern California) students?

4. Jane August 22, 2009 at 1:14 am #

There was no enrollment fee for University of Georgia

5. Joe October 27, 2009 at 9:32 am #

No fee, but no guaranteed discount too.
    i applied in June, it does show 3% but it still hasn’t showed up on bill
    Its end of October!!

6. John March 31, 2010 at 12:48 am #

Agreements vary by school. I go to UCLA and signing up was easy as cake. Now I receive a 15% discount on my bill!

7. Nate May 1, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

thanks. I did sign up for this and i qualified for this. After i signed up this program, on the top of the right corner, i saw my school FAN and some #. However, after 1 day, it disappeared. Do you guys know why? Thanks. P/S i did receive an email from AT&T saying that i was qualified.

8. Malcore May 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Hmmmmmm my university didn’t qualify for the discount. But my girl qualified for it. I might ask her and see if I can use hers. lol

9. David July 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Pepperdine qualified for a 15% discount on iPhone plan.

10. Abhinav September 7, 2010 at 9:55 am #

please can anyone tell me wat discount will be given for dartmouth university and is there any enrollment fee for it.

11. Alex September 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Must the student register himself/herself as the primary account holder? Or may it be placed under a parent’s name?

12. AJ September 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

@Alex – It does require that the primary account holder hold the .edu email address, check the fine print: “We need your work, school, or organization email address to determine if you are affiliated with an organization that qualifies for additional savings. AT&T has business agreements with thousands of corporations, government agencies, and educational institutions to offer wireless products to their employees at a significant discount.

If we match your work, school, or organization email address with our list of qualified companies, we’ll send you an email so you can start taking advantage of applicable discounts and benefits for which you qualify. (We are unable to match personal email addresses such as Yahoo!®, Windows Live™ Hotmail, or AOL®.)”

13. Paul September 24, 2010 at 3:30 am #

Do I have to use this premier web site to get a student discount?

Can I just buy and join AT&T from Amazon wireless and associate my existing plan to

student discount plan?

Where do I have to ask to switch my current regular plan to student discount plan?

14. Raza November 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

What happens to the discount if I graduate (and lose my .edu address)?

15. AJ November 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

You still get to keep it, the best part!

16. Kai November 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Can I have an education and work FAN discount?

17. Kai November 7, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

Let me rephase can I dual qualify for education and work FAN discount?

18. AJ November 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

You can’t combine the two FAN discounts no, I believe what happens is if you go to school and work somewhere that both have this discount whichever you add last will take effect and essentially overwrite whatever discount you were using previously.

19. Patrick November 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

I recently looked into this for my University and it allowed me a monthly credit of $50 off my monthly rate play of $39.99 and up. Im on an unlimited plan for $20!!

20. Jing June 10, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Is there discount on the first month of AT&T family plan? (Using iPhone)

21. skizzatt June 20, 2013 at 11:09 am #

I called to get info about the student discount. They (ATT) say they cannot give me any price info because the email details go to the school address. They told me I would have to contact the school to get the details. In other words, they don’t want you to get the discount!